Wednesday 10 October 2007

Monsoon soon Mon

This is the final day of temple visits, as I only bought a three day pass. Also, I need to start making my way back to Malaysia in order to get my flight home (tempting though it is to stay). Today I have visited Sras Srang (The King's swimming pool), Banteay Kdei, Ta Keo, then moved out of town to look at Bakong, Preah Ko, Lolei (not the 90s pop singer who had a hit with "big boys don't cry"!) before finishing up with Prasat Kravan.

Essentially, I have seen every temple worth seeing in the Angkor area. As I mentioned before, that is not to say all of them, there are hundreds, but some are just single towers etc. I have to admit to being a bit templed-out now, and so am looking for a more relaxing day tomorrow, where I will head off to the Tonle Sap lake and look at the village on the lake.

Strangely, as if it had been waiting, towards the end of the day, the heavens opened and I was treated to a monsoon rainfall. All my temples travels to this point had been rain free, but now as I ended my trek, it started. It is blisteringly hot here almost all the time, but when it rains, boy does it rain. Within minutes, water was running down the roads and I was drenched to the skin - I only had to run about 100 yards from the temple to the tuk-tuk too.


This is about 30 minutes. worth of rainfall, Mr. Son did a grand job of negotiating his way through the floods without splashing too much water onto me!! It rained hard for about 90 minutes and as quickly as it came, it went again, to be replaced by heat. This then meant that the water started evaporating and I was stuck in a sauna I could not escape from!!!

Anyway, back to the temples - admittedly I am struggling to come up with things to say about these lot of temples, as they are all similar to the others i have shown. Therefore I will leave the descriptions and just put up some snaps.

Banteay Kdei

Ta Keo


Bakong

Preah Ko

Lolei

Prasat Kravan

I was aiming to leave Siem Reap tomorrow, but upon trying to book my flight, I discovered that there is not a daily service flying out of here to Kuala Lumpur, and so I will have to head out on Friday instead. This does allow me though to see the Village on the lake I mentioned earlier, so not a big problem. After that, I will speak to Malaysian airlines at KLIA and see if they will waive me having to go back to Langkawi to connect to a flight to bring me back to Kuala Lumpur (seems a bit daft to me, but rules is rules).

If they will allow me that, then I have a day in Kuala Lumpur so I can see the city a bit more than I did, before flying home.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't believe you even get pigeons in Cambodia! Those little blighters get everywhere ;-)

I love the way the greenery grows out of the temples also!

irene said...

days to do are getting few

its back to reality with asset performance and the realities of servicability report

hope you missed us!!?????