Wednesday 20 February 2013

2013 Tour - Morocco

It has been a long seven months since the last tour, but winter has passed and attention is turning once again to sunnier climes. This tour is a visit to Morocco, and while, at only seven days long, it is only really a mini-break, I still think we have enough time to get a few insights into the country. The reason for Morocco is that I have a love of North African architecture, and Morocco has some wonderful examples.

Sarah is coming along again, so I guess my militaristic route marching around the temples of Malta did not put her off too much.....either that or she is a glutton for punishment ;)

Anyway, we are based in Marrakech and while the finer details of the tour are not fleshed out, a couple of highlights I am aiming to tick off my list are:


  • The Medina of Marrakech - wandering along the city walls (I got a flavour of this when we visited M'Dina in Malta)
  • El Fna square/market - enjoy the hustle and bustle during the day and watch it transform at night
  • Wandering through the various souks and trying our best to not part with too many Dirhams on some traditional Moroccan trinket (which has "made in China" on the base).
  • Ait BenHaddou - Unesco world heritage site and the go to place if you want to make a film involving North African architecture.
  • Ouarzarzate - another Medina similar to Ait Benhaddou
  • Visit the Atlas Mountains

Strangely when mentioning Morocco to me I can't help remembering a strange factoid  about the country, which was told to me in secondary school by a geography teacher, in that the land is almost entirely owned by the King, and yet 200,000 acres are used for the growing and cultivation of marijuana, so the king is complicit in growing drugs*. That is not the sort of trip I will be going on.....


No comments: